The Pew Research Center found that 58% of Americans surveyed said they were familiar with Chat GPT, but only 14% said they had tried it themselves.
Despite the slow universal roll out, Chat GPT and other applications of generative Artificial Intelligence are getting quite the buzz among younger adults (18-29) who the Pew Center reported were the most familiar with Chat GPT.
What appears to be happening is similar to previous tech rollouts… there are differing opinions on what the new tech will mean for individuals. Meanwhile, with the tool available anywhere, how it will impact education, learning and our society is being explored in front of us.
We’re not always on the front end of technological advances in K-12 education, but we are always among the first to find out what the true innovators— our students— will make of it.
To that end, here are some potential applications of Chat GPT for you as you lead your school!
- Educational Resource: ChatGPT can serve as an educational tool to assist students in various subjects, helping them with homework, explaining complex concepts, or offering practice in writing and communication skills.
- 24/7 Availability: Unlike a human, ChatGPT can be available round-the-clock. This provides an accessible, anytime resource for students who may have questions outside of school hours.
- Personalized Learning: ChatGPT can cater to each student’s individual pace of learning, ensuring no one gets left behind because they find a particular concept difficult to understand.
- Language Learning Support: For students learning new languages, ChatGPT can be a great practice partner, able to converse in various languages and correct mistakes.
- Safe Environment: ChatGPT provides a judgement-free environment where students can ask any questions without fear of embarrassment.
- Encourages Curiosity: The ability to ask unlimited questions can encourage students’ natural curiosity and eagerness to learn, fostering an environment of independent exploration.
- Scalability: ChatGPT can handle multiple queries at the same time, offering scalability that can benefit schools with large student bodies.
- Cost-Effective: It can serve as an additional educational resource without the need for extra human resources, thus being cost-effective.
- Inclusive Education: For students who may have special needs, ChatGPT can be customized to cater to their learning styles and needs, promoting inclusive education.
- Research: It’s also a valuable tool for older students for research purposes, able to provide concise summaries and explanations of various topics.
Do remember that while ChatGPT can be a valuable supplementary tool, it’s not a replacement for human teachers and their unique, irreplaceable skills in providing education and guidance.